Week 4: 60 Minutes of Video Observations

20 Minutes of Video Observation Intermediate Adult TEFL Class

The class size is small, and students are sitting in a U-shape, this allows all students to interact with each other and the professor. The professor is discussing real-life situations and asking students to identify the problem and provide a solution. For example, the professor said he had a cold and asked the students what remedies are best to cure a cold. From this question alone you can tell the students are at an intermediate level of English.  Students are being challenged by testing their listening comprehension, their ability to formulate a sentence, and their speaking and writing skills. The professor provides appropriate feedback and tests the student’s vocabulary and understanding. The professor will then correct the error if any. Students were given the ability to personalize the lesson as students could choose two aspects they would like to improve with their English skills. Working with peers, students discussed techniques on how to strengthen the desired skills they wish to improve. I would like to allow personalized lesson plans for students within my classroom as every student has different strengths and weaknesses. Having an individualized lesson plan allows students to incorporate their strengths while improving their weaknesses.

20 Minutes of Video Observation Language Teaching Methods: Communicative Approach

This video demonstrates the communicative approach to English language teaching. The communicative approach emphasizes language functions and grammar structures. The professor is teaching students how to make a persuasive argument and how to provide strong evidence to support their desired case. Students participate in role-playing while the instructor takes an advisor and facilitator role. This allows students to apply their knowledge and skills learned in class to make a valid, structured argument to support their case. The professor is engaging and has made the lesson plan personal, which shows he cares and trusts his students. The professor plays an essential role as an advisor and facilitator for the communicative approach. I believe it is beneficial to follow a communicative approach in the classroom, as this allows students to express their opinions and share their feelings. It is a great way for students to learn communication.

20 Minutes of Video Observation ESL Class Management Video

This wasn’t my favourite video observation class to watch as I didn’t enjoy the teaching method the instructor had used. First off, I would be more interactive with the class and I would continuously be standing, walking around the classroom rather than sitting on the desk facilitating a discussion with the students. I would show professionalism and be attentive towards the students. I would have liked to have seen the instructor go more in-depth about each time management skill and discuss factors and solutions to time management. The teacher and students are constantly getting distracted, personal discussions are going on. I found it hard to follow the lesson objectives. The professor could have improved by providing more support academically and explain why a sentence may not be a good sentence then provide an example of what is considered a good sentence. This way students can understand what they are doing wrong and not make the same mistake again.